Subject: Re: T3.51 drivers for PAR card?
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 3 Mar 1996 15:19:45 -0800

> Umm...  the main bug I've had is that I can only record one animation.  
> How do I do more?  I record one, plays back fine.  Record the second, it 
> plays back fine, but the previous animation is basically writen over!  Am 
> I missing something?
> 
> 
> Andrew Starks    
> [email-masked]
> 
> On Mon, 26 Feb 1996 [email-masked] wrote:
> 
> <STUFF DELETED>
> > are some nasty bugs in them (the main one that comes to mind is the
> > occasional erased playlist, in which the PAR interface refuses to
> > recognize a valid .ani file.  I've lost a couple of animations that
> > way.)  However, I don't mean to scare you off.  
> > 
> > (1) I have been able to
> > use the beta drivers by not rendering to the PAR after having run the
> > PAR "Virtual VTR" interface.  If I need to check the size of an
> > animation on the PAR drive while rendering, I use File Manager.  If I
> > run the Virtual VTR interface, I then do a warm reboot of my system
> > before performing any write-to-disk operations on the PAR drive.  It's a
> > bitch, but it has worked ok for me.
> > 
{snip}

Ok, for example, if I rendered out an animation to the PAR, and checking
drve E: under File Manager, I saw that I got all X of X frames, I might
want to view it.  Considering that I'm using NT3.51 Workstation, I could
either (a) run the DPS virtual VTR program (I can't remember exactly
what it's called) and then _before I do anything else_, reboot my
computer, and restart NT.  Then all is cool and I can render a second
animation to the PAR, etc.  Option (b): I could restart the computer 
immediately after checking File Manager, boot to DOS, run the AFAIK
bug-free DOS PAR program, and view the animation from there.  Either
way, I'm in for a reboot.  As I mentioned above, it's a real pain, esp.
since NT takes it's own sweet time starting up, but since I'm using
a standalone workstation, I can reboot at will.  The important thing, I 
have found, is to not write to the PAR drive at all after using the NT
PAR program to view a PAR animation.  I haven't had the exact problem
you mention above, but perhaps the procedure I have listed here will
help...

Mitch ------------------------------>[email-masked]